Making the most of your local pharmacy
Download a list of local pharmacies here
Your local Pharmacist is qualified and available to:
- Provide first stop advice and treatment for most minor complaints: the common cold, coughs, sore throats, hayfever, traveller’s diarrhoea, skin complaints and the like. A Pharmacist is always on hand and after talking to you, will advise a visit to the doctor if necessary.
- Check that any medicine you buy will not cause problems with any prescribed medicines you are taking.
- Explain anything you don’t understand about your prescribed medications. This includes information about your prescribed medications. This includes information as to what it is for, how it works and how you should take it for best effect.
Your local Pharmacy can:
- Arrange to collect your regular repeat prescriptions on your behalf from your surgery (see repeat prescriptions) saving you a trip to the surgery. Some Pharmacies will also arrange home delivery in certain cases.
- Provide answers to any queries when you call for your prescription.
- Provide information and guidance about a range of health issues, lifestyle, diet, stopping smoking and travel medicines (including anti-malaria advice).
- Dispose of old and unwanted medicines safely.